November 18, 2006

Zinetacular!!

My oh my, I am so impressed at the awesome zines that everyone made! I think that it is really fabulous that we were able to actually put into practice all the theory we learned in class (especially after that midterm)! I found it interesting that the zines all turned out to be so unique and different being that we all had to use the same theory. We all fulfilled our role of “the people”, which Fiske discusses, because we were acting from our subordinate positions against dominant society and created our own popular cultural practice. I think that zines are a really awesome idea because “the people” are able to make a popular cultural commodity by exploiting mass cultures raw materials to produce a political or antagonistic commodity. Plus the fact that the zine “commodity” is sold for next to nothing or just traded between zine producers the capitalistic mentality is also broken down because there is no profit being made. I think that this zine assignment defiantly worked well, being that it was able to put into practice all the theorists used in class so well. So as this was my first attempt at making a zine I am very impressed at how it all turned out and have to say it was an empowering moment, both in making the zine, as well as seeing everyone present their zines!

4 comments:

Aline said...

I found the exact same thing during Thursdays class. I found it so interesting that given the same assignment, we all came up with such different products in the end. I think Lindsay and Taps thought of the perfect way for us to use the theory (in more ways than one) - IN our zine, and the zine in itself. We were acting as "the people", exploiting mass cultures raw materials to produce a political commodity as you described it. To me, this is pretty revolutionary, seeing as how before this I didn't know zines existed, let alone I could make one as part of a team that could be so reactionary. I too like the fact that Zines go against the capitalistic mentality in that they are traded instead of purchased with money. I love this fact about them, paired with the fact that it should not cost a great amount to create one, everyone can participate in this aspect of culture no matter what their social status might be. I think this might be a step in the right direction in proving that it is not neccessary for one to have an education in order to have a political stance and be intelligent. I think that what we saw in the video of Zines about how many things they can be about, how easy it is to make one and how anyone can do it is quite empowering to everyone - not just those in a post-secondary environment. I think in pairing this zine creation with our performance of feministeppin' Kipnis would be extremely proud - not to mention Taps, who came up with some of the best performative pedagogies I think we could have asked for. This term was awesome.

randi said...

Sarah darling,
I am in total agreement with you. Baudrillard may roll over in his grave in seeing that despite the acceleration and bobmardment of images, our class has made time for reflection. Not only have we refunctioned the raw materials of hegemonic discourse, instead of being overwhelmed and apathetic, we have made a provisional political moment. Also, in a way I would like to randomly leave my ziens somewhere to share, but i'm far too selfish and am totally going to keep them all to myself. Forever. Too bad for you world.

John said...

Note to Randi: Baurdrillard isn't dead yet. :)

mal said...

I agree that the zine assignment was the perfect way to put all our knowledge into practice. Although having a midterm worth 50% sucked...it was worth having the rest of the term to stop and reflect on what it is that we learned and then put it into use. I also thought that it was really interesting just how much zines reject dominant society by presenting the views and ideas of cultural sub-groups in a public domain. Although they are quite "underground" and mostly traded or sold for small amounts (which does indeed produce a "(non)commodity"), they really do put marginalized groups out there, and allow those who identify with the same ideas and morals to participate in shared sensibilities. I think Baudrillard, Kipnis and Rhodes would all be very proud.