November 04, 2006

Masculinity What?

I thought that it was interesting in the Fiske article where he mentions that “the ideology of patriarchy may work more effectively upon men then women” (328). I think that this is often an area not discussed in women studies programs but I think that it is an important thought to think about. I would not go as far to say that men are “more” affected however; I defiantly think that our patriarchal culture creates rigid gender boxes which work just as effectively on masculinities as on femininities. Now I recognize that the very nature of our culture is based on patriarchal principles which grant privilege to men over women I am simply saying, as Judith Butler states gender is performative without an original and thus is just a repeated copy of a copy of a copy.
Therefore gender permormativity works to normalize and naturalize masculine identities as well as feminine identities. Boys are taught to be strong, aggressive, to enjoy playing sports and most of all not to share their emotions. In “The construction of Masculinity and the Triad of Men’s Violence” Michael Kauffman discusses masculinity as a narrowly defined category which therefore requires a whole range of human emotions, needs etcetera to be repressed, which he calls “surplus-repression” (13). Thus in the Fiske article when the men in the Newly Wed game reply ‘yes master” they are performing their gender, which has been naturalized and normalized, to prevent them from actually relating to their wives this therefore perpetuates masculine stereotypes. As Fiske states this narrowly defined identity category of masculinity made it almost impossible for the men to reply in any other way, regardless of how they actually felt. I think that the effects of patriarchy on masculine gender performativity is an interesting and important area to be further explored. This can be done by looking at popular culture and the way it perpetuates these normalized guidelines preventing men from breaking free of their masculine gender box.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I completely agree! I do not think that we need to stop the advances we have made in regards to women and understanding patriarchy in relation to our gender performativity, but I do think that we need to start considering how both genders have been affected by the changes effected by feminism. I do not think that we live in a post-feminist wourld, but I do believe that we have changed the gender landscape, for both sexes. I think it is time we introduced things like 'gender studies' to coincide with women's studies. What's the point of trying to change the world if we only care to interpellate half the population?

alyssa said...

I agree with you as well. I was actually having a conversation with some of my guy friends the other night and was explaining some of the things we had learned about in this class. This exact topic you are mentioning arose. Both of the males I was talking to said that there are no males on television that really portray the type of male they are or want to be when they are older. They pointed out that the men on sitcoms now a days are overweight, considered stupid and sexist. All of these characterisitics are just as demeaning to men as the sterotypes that women characters portray are to women.